- This policy applies to the LS file servers only. It does not apply to Box or other third-party services.
- LS IT regularly backs up data that is stored on all of our file servers ("S:\" and "U:\" drives).
- LS IT does not provide backup services for desktop or laptop computers, or for mobile devices, though clients can purchase CrashPlan licenses through the service desk.
- LS IT does not provide backup services for individual file servers, such as lab servers.
- We strongly recommend that you store any critical, current data on file servers or on other servers that are backed up.
- For backup of desktops, laptops and mobile devices, please see Backup Recommendations for Desktops, Laptops, and Mobile Devices.
- To request restoration of backed up data, please submit a service request online.
The LS IT backup system is disk-to-disk-to-tape, meaning that servers are initially backed up to staging disks, then snapshots from the staging disks are sent to tapes.
The retention policy for data stored on LS file services is:
- Daily backups to disk are stored for 1 week.
- Weekly backups to tape are stored for 1 month.
- Monthly backups to tape are stored for 1 year.
- Annual backups to tape are stored indefinitely.
Tape backups are moved off-site weekly (meaning that they are stored separately from the servers and disk backups).
Restoration of data from accidental deletions or for "roll-back" to previous versions for the past week (7 calendar days days) will be done at no cost. Restoration from tape archives may incur a cost.